Monday, May 13, 2013

French Toasted Angel Food Cake

My extended family had a brunch to celebrate Mother's Day. When my aunt asked me to bring something for dessert, I was unsure of the perfect recipe to make. I considered muffins and all sorts of other things, before remembering Sprinkle Bakes' recipe for French toasted angel food cake. I've wanted to make something from Sprinkle Bakes for the past 2 years. This recipe, in particular, sounded interesting but I never had quite the right situation to make it. Angel food cake is too dessert-y for breakfast, but French toast is too breakfast-y for most people to have as dessert. But, as dessert after a brunch, this recipe was actually perfect. This made me so excited. I altered the recipe just slightly, but it remained in the same vein, and I'm sure the original recipe is just as good.

Ingredients:
8" Angel food cake purchased at grocer's
6 eggs
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons + 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar (separated)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon of maple syrup (more, if desired on top of the tosted cake)
2 1/2 containers of strawberries
1 container of raspberries
1 container of blueberries
1 container of blackberries
1 can of whipped cream

Recipe:
First, beat the 6 eggs. In a shallow dish or bowl, combine these eggs with milk, 2 Tablespoons of sugar, vanilla, and 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup. You can use whatever combination of ingredients you typically use in making French toast. I've never used vanilla in French toast before, but I'm glad that I did with this recipe, so I recommend it, even if you're hesitant like I was.
Next, slice the angle food cake. I sliced into 12 pieces, but Sprinkle Bakes recommended 8 pieces, which I think would work better so that the pieces are big enough to stand on their own. Also recommended was using a serrated knife. I let my dad use his electric knife, but I think angel food cake is too sensitive for that much power.
After slicing the angel food cake, heat a skillet or frying pan over medium to medium-low heat. Use butter or cooking spray on the pan. While the skillet heats, soak your angel food cake in the egg mixture. Sprinkle Bakes recommends doing this for no longer than 1 minute, but I found soaking half of a piece at a time for 15-20 seconds each worked just fine.
Next, cook the slices of cake as if it were a regular piece of bread. I recommend cooking all of the exposed sides of the cake slice, but spend the most amount of time on the two larger ends allowing those to get somewhere between a medium-gold and a medium-brown color. Depending on the size of your skillet, you can cook between 1 and 4 slices of cake at a time.
Next, place slices on a plate or platter in the original upright position.
If you have a helper, you can have them do this next step for you while you bake. Or, do this in advance. Wash and dry your berries. remove stems and slice strawberries in a large bowl. Mix in the other berries and 4 Tablespoons of sugar. This will help to draw out as much juice as possible from the berries.
It is best to allow people to chose their own toppings (berries with whipped cream, or syrup, or a combination of the two), but my personal preference is the berries. What can I say, berries go well with French toast AND with Angel food cake, so they seemed like the perfect fit for this dish.

This recipe was absolutely incredible. I enjoyed it, my mom enjoyed it, and everyone that tried it enjoyed it. I seriously can't wait to do this one again, or any other recipe from Sprinkle Bakes. Please, can somebody have a birthday or something?


Dorm Food

 Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment