Monday, November 11, 2013

Blackberry Apple Pie


In quite the contest against this pie, I decided to try one other pie recipe.This recipe is for blackberry apple pie, thanks to the wonderful Martha Stuart (who, as I've mentioned previously is one of my idols). The original recipe can be found here, though I made a few adaptations.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 1/2 cups of assorted apples, peeled and thinly sliced (again, try crisp and tart apples such as Granny Smith, Gala, Honeycrisp, and Jonagold)
10 ounces (2 1/4 cups) of fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed

Recipe:
First, wash, peel, and slice (in that order) your apples. I strongly recommend using Granny Smith and at least one other type of apple. To slice, I took an apple cutter like this to slice the peeled apples. Then, I sliced each of these pieces in half, thirds, or quarters, depending on the size of the slice. 
Next, whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
Then, add the apples and mostly drained blackberries and toss to coat (I forgot to drain my blackberries and ended up with a very runny pie).
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
While the oven preheats, spoon the filling into a prepared pie crust. Be sure with this pie that you either cover the top with more crust (latticed, designed, or completely covered with some holes) or cover in tin foil for the first 40 minutes of baking.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes (removing tin foil after 40 minutes, if applicable).


This pie. Oh my this pie. If I don't make it again for Thanksgiving, I'll definitely be making it at some point again (maybe in the summer). It's definitely sweet, but more on the tart side of sweet. The blackberry and the apple compliment each other splendidly. I highly recommend that you try this recipe. But it is definitely more of a summer pie (perhaps late August/early September when blackberries are still in season at the grocery store).
Please, again, leave any questions or opinions in the comment section below. A survey post is soon to follow. I look forward to seeing your views on this ultimate of questions: WHICH PIE SHOULD I MAKE?!

No comments:

Post a Comment