Monday, November 11, 2013

Caramel Apple Pie


After making my first pie a little while ago and being rather successful at it, my mother requested that I make another pie for Thanksgiving this year. I filled up my pinterest boards with way too many pie recipes. Then, I narrowed it down to two: caramel apple pie or blackberry apple pie. I'm going to need your help deciding which one to make, so look for the upcoming post where I will include a survey. But that's all later. For now, here is the caramel apple pie (recipe adapted from Pillsbury):

Ingredients:
Pie crust (frozen, homemade, or refrigerated)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 cups of peeled and thinly sliced apples (use a variety of tart and crispy apples, I used Granny Smith, Gala, and Honeycrisp)
1/2 cup caramel apple dip (I used Light dip because that's all I could find)
5 Tablespoons milk
(Optional)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup softened butter

Recipe:
First, wash, peel, and slice (in that order) your apples. I strongly recommend using Granny Smith and at least one other type of apple. To slice, I took an apple cutter like this to slice the peeled apples. Then, I sliced each of these pieces in half, thirds, or quarters, depending on the size of the slice.
In a large bowl, mix sugar, 1/3 cup of flour, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the apples and toss to coat.. Spoon this pie filling into the crust.
In a small bowl, mix about 3 Tablespoons of caramel apple dip with about 3 Tablespoons of milk. Mix thoroughly, adding more caramel to make thicker, or more milk to make thinner. Drizzle this over the pie.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
While the oven preheats, mix 1 cup of flour, the brown sugar, and the butter in a medium sized bowl to create a crumb topping. Sprinkle this topping over your pie filling. This is an optional step, but you should either use this or have a top to your pie (be it a latticed top or a solid top with holes punched in it, or what have you).
Next, bake for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until the pie is golden brown. Allow the pie to cool for 10 minutes.
After the pie has cooled, take your remaining caramel apple dip and add more caramel and/or milk 1 Tablespoon at a time, until it is a sufficient amount. Then, drizzle the caramel over the cooled pie.
It is recommended that you allow the pie to cool for at least 2 hours before serving.



This is a very good autumn pie. The caramel was sweet without being too sweet, and the apple was tart without being too tart. It was also extremely rich tasting, which is both good and bad.
So, here is pie number one. Pie number two is soon to follow. Please leave any questions or opinions in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment