Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bran on a Log

So, you remember when you were a kid and your mom or your preschool teacher or someone along those lines introduced you to Ants on a Log? And it was the most delicious thing you've ever tasted even though you hate raisins and peanut butter and celery. But for some reason, combined, you were ok with it? Well, I remember those days. Marvelous days. And I thought I would recreate those delicious memories tonight. I had celery and I had peanut butter, but it just isn't the same without raisins. But, of course, because I don't like plain raisins, I didn't have plain raisins. This is where the creativity begins.
I had Raisin Bran.
So I used that instead. Here's the recipe:
1) Break off celery from the main stalk and wash it.
2) With a nice clean knife (a basic butter knife will w
ork), slice your celery into long-ish sticks (you can skip 1 and 2 if you buy pre-cut celery sticks, but make sure to wash them anyway). You can do this on a plate, or a piece of paper towel on your counter or desk, whichever is more convenient for you.
3) Take peanut butter (preferably creamy) and spread using your knife in the groove of each celery stick.
4) Take about a tablespoon of Raisin Bran and sprinkle it across each celery stick over the peanut butter (I tried to make sure to have at least one raisin in each one).
5) Eat, enjoy, and rinse the dishes. Because peanut butter is sticky and hardens when you leave it on dishes for too long.

This ended up tasting delicious. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU TRY THIS. The cereal adds a bit of crunch to the top of each bite and just enough sweetness that the celery doesn't overpower every other flavor. Plus, it's a great way to get all the nutrition of celery (Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Potasium, and Magnese, just to name a few) as well as nutrition in the peanut butter (protein, niacin, Vitamin E, Magnese, Calcium, Iron, and even more Dietary Fiber). I can't recommend it for every day consumption (peanut butter is also very high in fat, and while it is generally good fat, it is not a diet food in any way).

No comments:

Post a Comment